top


Lijit Search







Profile Archives Blogroll Links Promo/Tools Subscribe Home

Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Conflict

What do you do when you have to make one of your kids do something you don't really want to make them do? Like, when a gym teacher requires a Gym Journal in which he needs to write 5 paragraphs for each class, but the journal entries for each class can be exact copies of each other. An assignment that I totally agree is pointless or near pointless and teaches almost nothing.

I remember having to do stupid, senseless homework. It sucked. Royally. I'm also aware that I have had a multitude of jobs where I have been made to do stupid, senseless things that I absolutely did not want to do. And if I didn't do them, it would be insubordination and termination. We have to learn in life there are things we have to do that we don't want to.

So, there are two conflicts. The one between me and the child in question and the conflict within myself. The first one I can deal with. As a father, there will be many times with all my children that I will be in conflict with them. It's the internal conflict that's bugging me. I don't want to ride him. He's a good kid. He helps with the younger kids all the time. He is compassionate and caring. Always willing to help out around the house. He is kind. He is very smart. I am constantly proud of him. I don't want to make him do these stupid journals. I don't want to be the bad guy over something I don't even really support. But, I'm being the bad guy. And it sucks.

I hope that when he gets older he'll realize that I am somebody who is doing this out of love and a desire to help him deal with the injustices of life when he gets older rather than just a crotchety old man who likes making kids miserable.

And besides all that, I really hate hearing my father's voice coming out of my mouth. That is the worst.

(That's my dad in the pic holding Patrick, his youngest grand child. I love him. I just don't want to be him.)

Posted by Ken at 8:54 PM 0comments

Calvin - "How come you know so much?"
Dad - "It's all in the book you get when you become a father."

Visitors
webhosting
webhosting


Listed on BlogShares